Another brilliant example of thinking outside of the box by Johnny Lee. This time he figured out how to do head tracking with the Wii remote to use in desktop VR applications. To find out what this means, watch his video below:
Johnny Lee gave us a taste of his brilliance by sharing his experiments in which he uses a simple Wii remote to create a low cost multi touch display either on a surface or in thin air as you see in the movie Minority Report.
Check out his website: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/projects/wii/
All I can say is: “WOW!”
Mark Feldman felt (and who doesn’t) that Virtual Console games on Wii are experienced much better when played with their original controllers, so what did he do? He converted original NES and SNES controllers to wireless versions, compatible with the Nintendo Wii! And he even put up a website to show us how it’s done. See links below.
Mark Feldman’s tutorial website:
Coming back from holiday means getting back to work, in my case on my graduation project, which has been eating most or all of my time for a while now. The end, however, is approaching and look how nicely the electronics are coming along! And to think that when I started this I had hardly a clue about how to build this kind of stuff. I like making myself proud… ;D
I won’t go into detail about the exact ins and outs of my graduation project now, but it’s a research concerning physical responses to watching video footage. Experiments are scheduled to start at the 17th of this month, if I can just manage to get some more test subjects… Anyway, the end is drawing near, and when it is here, I’ll be a Master of Science! Yay!!! 😀
So here’s the story: for my graduation project I need, amongst lots of other things, to drive a DC motor, which anyone who has some experience with building circuitry will tell you is not so big a deal. Except this motor is, because it typically requires around 4 amps to operate, which can go up to 6A when it’s moving a heavy load. Now this is not so much the problem, because I have the power supply required, but I just need to lower the voltage to make it go slower. Oh, and did I mention it’s reversible? I’m sure many hardware gurus will be scratching their chins right about now, going “hmmm”. I know I was, but then again I’m far from being a hardware guru, I’m just learning.
Anyway, back to the story. Apparently, lowering the voltage for a reversible DC motor whilst delivering 4 to 6 amps is not something that’s easily done. It needs a bunch of circuitry. Long story short: I meet this guy (Daniel, you rule) who likes to build circuitry in his spare time and he agrees to help me with this. So finally, after struggling on this problem for months (well, maybe not months and maybe not just this problem, but a long time anyway) I end up with a schematic of a circuit that simulates great in software and I build it on my breadboard (see pictures). I check, I double check, I measure with low voltage, I measure with the power supply I’ll be using, and it works. Woohoo, it works! And then I plug in the motor…
First, the motor starts moving hesitantly. Then it picks up a bit of speed and does what I want it to. It moves, and at exactly the right speed. I remember thinking: “Thank god, I’m done with this whole motor driving circuit thing”. But then I hear the nerve-wrecking *POOF!*. A lot of smoke, a vile smell and the sound of electrical sparks. I immediately pull the plug, but needless to say it was too late (as is often the case when you’ve witnessed your chip explode). Turns out I should have been cooling the chip…